Home
It's where Ada gets its news!
August 5, 2020
 

You are here

Ada First Presbyterian has changed little since constructed

By Bailey Bowers

Here's the second "Ada Past and Present" feature. CLICK HERE for the first installment.

Our feature is the Ada First Presbyterian Church on the corner of Main and Lincoln.

Presbyterians were among the first to settle in Ada, so it was only natural for a church to be constructed. The original Presbyterian Church was completed in 1864 and dedicated in 1867.

However, in late 1888, the elders of the church decided that the congregation was in need for a better space for worship. In May 1890, bids from several area architects were opened and a contract to build the new structure was awarded to S.P. Stewart of Bowling Green, Ohio in the amount of $9,120.

The old building was moved to Gilbert Street, but has since been destroyed by fire.  Construction of the new church was completed on Feb. 10, 1891, and the dedication took place on May 10, 1891. While many other denominations have come to Ada since, the Presbyterian Church still stands much like it did then.

Additional photos are at the bottom of this story.