Hanson-Neely remembrance service Saturday at 3 p.m.

        

Hanson-Neely remembrance service Saturday at 3 p.m.

        
Home
Where Ada gets its news!

Viewer of the Week

Greg Garver

December 10, 2017
 

You are here

Columnists

The Flag Staff from 1914 Ohio Northern Cadets.

(Dave Devier, Ph.D., attended ONU and lived in and around the community for 45 years. He taught at Northern for 15 years. Currently, he is President of Glen Oaks Community College in Centreville, Mich. While in the Ada area, he and his wife Patty collected Ada/ONU memorabilia. He will write an occasional column for the Ada Icon describing some of their "finds" that pertain to the town and gown.)

By David Devier

This is the next installment in the history of Ada and Ohio Northern University shown through memorabilia and artifacts. This find came from the many pieces that were in the American Legion Hall when it closed its Main Street Post. 

Ada and ONU depicted through memorabilia

(Dave Devier, Ph.D., attended ONU and lived in and around the community for 45 years. He taught at Northern for 15 years. Currently, he is President of Glen Oaks Community College in Centreville, Mich. While in the Ada area, he and his wife Patty collected Ada/ONU memorabilia. He will write an occasional column for the Ada Icon describing some of their "finds" that pertain to the town and gown.)

By David H. Devier

This is the fourth installment of the history of Ada and ONU as depicted through the collectable pieces of memorabilia. 

May 9 special council meeting cancelled

Ada council's special meeting originally set for Tuesday, May 9, has been cancelled.  The announcement was made by Angela Polachek from the village office.

 

Which ONU building burned in 1913?

By Paul Logsdon, University Archivist

In November 1913 Hill Building was reduced to a smoking shell. The old Normal School building (bottom left) had just been demolished to make way for Lehr Memorial. This picture shows the still smoking ruins of Hill, a horse-drawn wagon for removing rubble, and a dog.

 

 

Ada and ONU in Miniature Blue China

(Dave Devier, Ph.D., attended ONU and lived in and around the community for 45 years. He taught at Northern for 15 years. Currently, he is President of Glen Oaks Community College in Centreville, Mich. While in the Ada area, he and his wife Patty collected Ada/ONU memorabilia. He will write an occasional column for the Ada Icon describing some of their "finds" that pertain to the town and gown.)

By David H. Devier

Ada swimming north of town

By Paul Logsdon, University Archivist

Before the municipal pool was opened, Ada residents could cool off at the lake called Welcome Park.

The lake was formed when a quarry operated by Grant Tressel flooded.

In 1924 bath houses, bathing pools, a 50 x 100 foot pavilion, and facilities for baseball and tennis were added along with picnic grounds and rides.

By 1943, with WWI raging, the park closed permanently.

The buildings and rides are long-gone, but the lake still remains opposite the Liberty Conservation Club

Pages

This week's news stories