Home
It's where Ada gets its news!
April 7, 2020
 

You are here

Historical Ada

1954 Ada village council

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Fifty-nine years ago in Ada.

Certainly there's an Icon viewer in the audience who had identify some of these town fathers. This is the 1954 Ada village council. The photo is from the collection of the Ada Public Library, however no names are written on the photo.

If you know someone here, please tell us!

 

Ada's Civil Defense Council from the 1940s

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

In World War II Ada had an active Civil Defense Council. Here is a photo of the group as they stood on Main Street. 

From left, Bill Tietge, George Umphress, Louie Anspack, Harry Sousley, Harry Pratte, Clair Motter and Errett Motter. The man in the from is unidentified. This photo is from the collection of historic photos at the Ada Public Library.

The Icon welcomes any comments from views on this photo.

1954 Ada children's theatre photograph

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Here's a photograph from the Ada Public Library collection. The photo is identified as a 1954 Ada community theater children's production.

Icon viewers information on this photo are welcome.

1st row, from left - Bonnie Springer, Norman Noe, Tom Parkhill, Linda Marchant, Susan Brown
2nd row, from left - Fran Price, Joe Beschoff, Betty Miller
3rd row, from left, Ann Lowry, Robert Lamb, Smith (?)

Important Ada industry 100 years ago

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE AND OPEN THE MAP ON THE BOTTOM OF THE STORY

One hundred years ago, one of Ada’s most significant employers was the Ada Clay Co. It produced drain tile from sizes 8 ½ inches to 24 inches. The plant was located along the railroad. Notice the freight cars parked on the siding. This photo a picture postcard mailed Dec. 23, 1915, to a customer in Dola.

The accompanying map shows the layout of the factory, which had it own railroad siding. The tiles were an important industry at the turn of the century as farmers were draining fields from the Black Swamp.

(Photo from the Leland Crouse collection)

111-years ago on Main Street

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

These may not be familiar names in Ada today, but in 1904 they were the familiar faces on Ada's Main Street.

Ada business people, top row from left,  Cylde Sharp, cashier, First National Bank; Louis Greer, shoes; Jos. August, variety store; Cliff F. Landon, druggist; Ray Sharp, millinery.

Second row from left, O.S. Melhorn, grocery, Wm. McCafferty, meat market; Louis Brewer, grain and implements; M.S. King, bargain store; John Young, druggist.

Bottom row from left, M.L. Snyder, University Herald; Levi Anspach, Ada Lumber Co.; Clark Provenmire, grocer; and David Watt, jeweler.

1958 Orange Township fox hunt

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Although this photo has its roots a bit north of Ada, it may have some Ada connections.

There's several things we know about this photo - and several unknowns. The photo was taken as a black and white snapshot in February 1958 in front of the Orange Township garage. It's a group of fox hunters with three foxes.

What we lack is an identification of the hunters. We've enlarged the photo as much as possible without losing a viewable image.

We invite Icon viewers to take a stab at naming these men.

Pages