Home
It's where Ada gets its news!
Ada Sports
July 20, 2019
 

You are here

Historical Ada

1913 Football team

Ada's 1913 Football Team - Here's the Bulldog team that piled up a 7-1 record 47 years ago against such foes as Findlay, Fostoria, Van Wert, Defiance and Sidney.

Front row - Edgar Neiswander, Von Spellman, George Botkins, and Carl Holman.

Middle - Hess Florida, Bart Snyder, Winfield Scott, Jed Corbett, Zeno Adams, Byron Neiswander, and Russell Clum.

Back - Jennings Stambaugh, "Doc" Donaghy, Prin. H. T. O. Blue, Herbert Jamison, Asst. Coach Bradshaw, Laurel Anspach, Supt. William Stage, Reed Cook and Coach Ralph Mertz (inset).

When they bricked Ada's streets - sometime between 1909 and 1913

Here's a look at North and South Gilbert streets

This article is one of several pieces on the village’s history and written by members of The Ada Historical Society.

By Paul Logsdon
Images in this article are from the ONU Archives or courtesy of the online newspapers from the Ada Public Library.

“As Welcome As Flowers That Bloom In The Spring”

The Icon recently carried an article on planned street work along Ada’s east side; a reminder that flowers are not the only thing appearing in Ada when the weather warms.

Who is the teacher?

We need some viewer assistance with this photo. It's from the 1962-63 Ada school year. Who is the teacher and what is the class? Bonus points for naming the guy raising his hand.

The Ada iceman cometh

Ada has ice!

Here's a photograph of an Ada ice house Leland Crouse received recently. He said that he lacks any information about it, including who might be in the photo, the Ada location and the date.

109 Ada HS sports seasons ago

No too many familiar last names in this Ada High School photo. Was it a football team, or another sport? There's one captain listed: Foss, number 11. (Photo from Leland Crouse)

Post script: Jon Umphress tells the Icon that number 11 Foss was his grandfather, Harold "Shorty" Foss. He played end of this football team and later worked at Cole Motors.

A flour mill on West Montford?

Yes, built in 1874; destroyed by fire in 1915

This article is one of several pieces on the village’s history and written by members of The Ada Historical Society.

By Paul Logsdon
Images below are from the ONU Archives or courtesy of the online newspapers from the Ada Public Library.

Ada City Mills, 1874 - 1915
The residents of West Montford Ave. might be surprised to know that one of Ada’s early major businesses was located on their street. 

The Ada City Mills (flour), built in 1874 by Joseph Ream & Son, was located on the corner of West Montford and Heistand St.

Pages